take it or leave it
If you say to someone 'take it or leave it', you are telling them that they can accept something or not accept it, but that you are not prepared to discuss any other alternatives.
A 72-hour week, 12 hours a day, six days a week, take it or leave it.
每周6天,每天12小时,共72小时,接不接受随你。
A take is a short piece of action which is filmed in one continuous process for a film.
She couldn't get it right – she never knew the lines and we had to do several takes.
她就是做不好–她一直不熟悉台词,我们只好一个镜头拍好几次。
Someone's take on a particular situation or fact is their attitude to it or their interpretation of it.
What's your take on the new government? Do you think it can work?
你对新政府持什么态度?你认为它能行吗?
take after
If you take after a member of your family, you resemble them in your appearance, your behaviour, or your character.
She was a smart, brave woman. You take after her.
她是一名聪明、勇敢的女子。你很像她。
take apart
If you take something apart, you separate it into the different parts that it is made of.
When the clock stopped, he took it apart, found what was wrong, and put the whole thing together again.
钟不走了,他把它拆了,找出毛病所在,然后又组装起来。
take away
If you take something away from someone, you remove it from them, so that they no longer possess it or have it with them.
They're going to take my citizenship away.
他们要夺走我的公民权。
'Give me the toy,' he said softly, 'or I'll take it away from you.'
“把玩具给我,”他轻声说道,“否则我就把它夺过来。”
If you take one number or amount away from another, you subtract one number from the other.
Add up the bills for each month. Take this away from the income.
把每个月的账单加起来,然后从收入中扣除。
To take someone away means to bring them from their home to an institution such as a prison or hospital.
take off
Two men claiming to be police officers went to the pastor's house and took him away.
两个自称是警官的人去了牧师家,把他带走了。
take back
If you take something back, you return it to the place where you bought it or where you borrowed it from, because it is unsuitable or broken, or because you have finished with it.
If I buy something and he doesn't like it I'll take it back.
如果我买了什么东西他不喜欢,我就退掉它。
If you take something back, you admit that something that you said or thought is wrong.
Take back what you said about Jeremy!
收回你说的有关杰里米的话!
If you take someone back, you allow them to come home again, after they have gone away because of an argument or other problem.
Why did she take him back?
她为什么又让他回家呢?
If you say that something takes you back, you mean that it reminds you of a period of your past life and makes you think about it again.
I enjoyed experimenting with colours – it took me back to being five years old.
我喜欢尝试各种颜色–这使我回忆起5岁时的情景。
take down
If you take something down, you reach up and get it from a high place such as a shelf.
Alberto took the portrait down from the wall.
阿尔伯特从墙上取下那幅肖像画。
If you take down a structure, you remove each piece of it.
The Canadian army took down the barricades erected by the Indians.
加拿大军队拆除了印度人设置的路障。
If you take down a piece of information or a statement, you write it down.
write down
We've been trying to get back to you, Tom, but we think we took your number down incorrectly.
我们一直试着给你回复,汤姆,但我们想我们记错了你的号码。
take in
If you take someone in, you allow them to stay in your house or your country, especially when they do not have anywhere to stay or are in trouble.
He persuaded Jo to take him in.
他说服乔收留了他。
If the police take someone in, they remove them from their home in order to question them.
The police have taken him in for questioning in connection with the murder of a girl.
警察带走了他,询问一个女孩被杀的有关情况。
If you are taken in by someone or something, you are deceived by them, so that you get a false impression of them.
I married in my late teens and was taken in by his charm – which soon vanished.
我在十八九岁时结婚,被他的魅力所欺骗——但他那种魅力很快就消失了。
If you take something in, you pay attention to it and understand it when you hear it or read it.
Lesley explains possible treatments but you can tell she's not taking it in.
莱斯莉解释了各种可行的治疗方法,但是你可以看出她没有领会。
If you take something in, you see all of it.
The eyes behind the lenses were dark and quick-moving, taking in everything at a glance.
镜片后的黑眼睛快速转动着,一眼就看清了一切。
If people, animals, or plants take in air, drink, or food, they allow it to enter their body, usually by breathing or swallowing.
They will certainly need to take in plenty of liquid.
他们肯定需要吸收大量液体。
take off
When an aeroplane takes off, it leaves the ground and starts flying.
We eventually took off at 11 o'clock and arrived in Juneau at 1:30.
我们终于在11点起飞,1:30到达朱诺。
If something such as a product, an activity, or someone's career takes off, it suddenly becomes very successful.
In 1944, he met Edith Piaf, and his career took off.
1944年,他遇到伊迪丝•琵雅芙,从此他的事业飞黄腾达。
If you take off or take yourself off, you go away, often suddenly and unexpectedly.
He took off at once and headed back to the motel.
他出人意料地马上离开了,然后回到了那家汽车旅馆。
If you take a garment off, you remove it.
He wouldn't take his hat off.
他不愿摘下他的帽子。
If you take time off, you obtain permission not to go to work for a short period of time.
Mitchel's schedule had not permitted him to take time off.
米切尔的日程安排不允许他休假。
take on
If you take on a job or responsibility, especially a difficult one, you accept it.
No other organization was able or willing to take on the job.
没有任何其他组织能够或愿意承担这项工作。
If something takes on a new appearance or quality, it develops that appearance or quality.
Believing he had only a year to live, his writing took on a feverish intensity.
认为自己只有一年可活了,他的文字变得激情澎湃。
If a vehicle such as a bus or ship takes on passengers, goods, or fuel, it stops in order to allow them to get on or to be loaded on.
This is a brief stop to take on passengers and water.
这是一次短暂的停车,供乘客上车和补给水。
If you take someone on, you employ them to do a job.
He's spoken to a publishing company. They're going to take him on.
他已经跟一家出版公司谈过了。他们将聘用他。
If you take someone on, you fight them or compete against them, especially when they are bigger or more powerful than you are.
Democrats were reluctant to take on a president whose popularity ratings were historically high.
民主党不愿意与一个支持率创历史新高的总统较量。
If you take something on or upon yourself, you decide to do it without asking anyone for permission or approval.
Knox had taken it on himself to choose the wine.
诺克斯已擅作主张选了这种葡萄酒。
He took upon himself the responsibility for protecting her.
他自作主张承担起保护她的责任。
take out
If you take something out, you remove it permanently from its place.
I got an abscess so he took the tooth out.
我牙龈脓肿,所以他把那颗牙齿拔掉了。
If you take out something such as a loan, a licence, or an insurance policy, you obtain it by fulfilling the conditions and paying the money that is necessary.
I'll have to stop by the bank and take out a loan.
我要去一趟银行申请贷款。
If you take someone out, they go somewhere such as a restaurant or theatre with you after you have invited them, and usually you pay for them.
Jessica's grandparents took her out for the day.
杰茜卡的祖父母带她出去了一天。
Sophia took me out to lunch.
索菲娅请我出去吃午饭。
take over
If you take over a company, you get control of it, for example, by buying its shares.
I'm going to take over the company one day.
我总有一天会接管这家公司。
If someone takes over a country or building, they get control of it by force, for example, with the help of the army.
The Belgians took over Rwanda under a League of Nations mandate.
比利时人在一项国际联盟的授权下接管了卢旺达。
If you take over a job or role or if you take over, you become responsible for the job after someone else has stopped doing it.
His widow has taken over the running of his empire, including six theatres.
他的遗孀接替他管理他的帝国,包括6家剧院。
In 2001, I took over from him as governing mayor.
2001年我接替他担任了主管市长。
If one thing takes over from something else, it becomes more important, successful, or powerful than the other thing, and eventually replaces it.
Cars gradually took over from horses.
汽车逐渐取代了马。
take to
If you take to someone or something, you like them, especially after knowing them or thinking about them for only a short time.
Did the children take to him?
孩子们喜欢上他了吗?
If you take to doing something, you begin to do it as a regular habit.
They had taken to wandering through the streets arm-in-arm.
他们已经养成了挽着胳膊在街头散步的习惯。
take up
If you take up an activity or a subject, you become interested in it and spend time doing it, either as a hobby or as a career.
He did not particularly want to take up a competitive sport.
他并没有特别想要开始从事竞技性运动项目。
If you take up a question, problem, or cause, you act on it or discuss how you are going to act on it.
If you have a problem with the law, take it up with your legislators.
如果你有法律问题,去找议会成员讨论。
She had taken up the cause of a generation of American youth.
她已经开始着手美国年轻一代人的事业。
If you take up a job, you begin to work at it.
He will take up his post as the head of the civil courts at the end of next month.
他将于下个月底开始担任民事法庭的庭长。
If you take up an offer or a challenge, you accept it.
Increasingly, more winemakers are taking up the challenge of growing Pinot Noir.
越来越多的葡萄酒商开始接受种植“黑比诺”葡萄的挑战。
If something takes up a particular amount of time, space, or effort, it uses that amount.
I know how busy you must be and naturally I wouldn't want to take up too much of your time.
我知道你一定很忙,所以我自然不想占用你太多的时间。
A good deal of my time is taken up with driving the children to soccer games.
开车送孩子们去参加足球比赛占用了我很多时间。
take something lying down
If someone takes an insult or attack lying down, they accept it without protesting.
The government is not taking such criticism lying down.
政府不会心甘情愿地忍受这种批评。
take a lot out of someone , take it out of someone
If something takes a lot out of you or takes it out of you, it requires a lot of energy or effort and makes you feel very tired and weak afterwards.
He looked tired, as if the argument had taken a lot out of him.
他看上去很累,似乎这场辩论已使他筋疲力尽。
take five , take ten
If someone tells you to take five or to take ten, they are telling you to have a five or ten minute break from what you are doing.
on the take
Someone who is on the take is receiving illegal income such as bribes.
I can also name cops who are on the take.
我也能说出受贿警察的名字。
takes , taking , took , taken
You can use take followed by a noun to talk about an action or event, when it would also be possible to use the verb that is related to that noun. For example, you can say 'she took a shower' instead of 'she showered.'
She was too tired to take a shower.
她累得不想淋浴了。
Betty took a photograph of us.
贝蒂给我们拍了一张照片。
In ordinary spoken or written English, people use take with a range of nouns instead of using a more specific verb. For example, people often say 'he took control' or 'she took a positive attitude' instead of 'he assumed control' or 'she adopted a positive attitude.'
The Patriotic Front took power after a three-month civil war.
爱国阵线经过3个月的内战后夺取了政权。
I felt it was important for women to join and take a leading role.
我认为妇女参与并担任领导角色很重要。
If you take something, you reach out for it and hold it.
Here, let me take your coat.
来,我帮你拿大衣。
Colette took her by the shoulders and shook her.
科利特抓住她的双肩,摇晃她。
If you take something with you when you go somewhere, you carry it or have it with you.
Mark often took his books to Bess's house to study.
马克经常带着书去贝丝家学习。
You should take your passport with you when changing money.
你兑换货币时应该带着你的护照。
If a person, vehicle, or path takes someone somewhere, they transport or lead them there.
She took me to a Mexican restaurant.
她带我去了一家墨西哥餐馆。
If something such as a job or interest takes you to a place, it is the reason for you going there.
He was a poor student from Madras whose genius took him to Stanford.
他是个来自马德拉斯的穷学生,他的才华使他考上了斯坦福。
If you take something such as your problems or your business to someone, you go to that person when you have problems you want to discuss or things you want to buy.
You need to take your problems to a trained counsellor.
你需要向一位训练有素的顾问请教你的问题。
If one thing takes another to a particular level, condition, or state, it causes it to reach that level or condition.
A combination of talent, hard work and good looks have taken her to the top.
天赋、勤奋和美貌的结合使她成了佼佼者。
If you take something from a place, you remove it from there.
He took a handkerchief from his pocket and lightly wiped his mouth.
他从口袋里拿出一块手帕,轻轻地擦了擦嘴。
If you take something from someone who owns it, you steal it or go away with it without their permission.
He has taken my money, and I have no chance of getting it back.
他偷了我的钱,我不可能把它要回来了。
If an army or political party takes something or someone, they win them from their enemy or opponent.
A Serb army unit took the town.
一支塞尔维亚部队夺取了这个镇。
If you take one number or amount from another, you subtract it or deduct it.
Take off the price of the house, that's another hundred thousand.
减去房价,又是10万。
If you take something such as damage or loss, you suffer it, especially in war or in a battle.
They have taken heavy casualties.
他们遭受了惨重的伤亡。
If something takes a certain amount of time, that amount of time is needed in order to do it.
Since the roads are very bad, the trip took us a long time.
由于道路状况很差,这次旅程花费了我们很长时间。
I had heard an appeal could take years.
我听说一项诉讼可能要花费好几年时间。
The sauce takes 25 minutes to prepare and cook.
准备和烹制这种调味汁需要25分钟。
It takes 15 minutes to convert the plane into a car by removing the wings and the tail.
拆除机翼和机尾,把那架飞机改成汽车需要15分钟的时间。
If something takes a particular quality or thing, that quality or thing is needed in order to do it.
At one time, walking across the room took all her strength.
曾经有段时间,穿过这个房间会用尽她全部的力气。
It takes courage to say what you think.
说出你的想法需要勇气。
If you take something that is given or offered to you, you agree to accept it.
accept
When I took the job I thought I could change the system, but it's hard.
当我接受这份工作时我以为我能改变这种体制,但太难了。
If you take a feeling such as pleasure, pride, or delight in a particular thing or activity, it gives you that feeling.
They take great pride in their heritage.
他们为自己的传统感到十分自豪。
If you take a prize or medal, you win it.
'Poison' took first prize at the 1991 Sundance Film Festival.
《毒药》在1991年的圣丹斯电影节上获得一等奖。
If you take the blame, responsibility, or credit for something, you agree to accept it.
His brother Raoul did it, but Leonel took the blame and kept his mouth shut.
这件事是弟弟拉乌尔做的,但莱昂内尔承担了责任而且对此绝口不提。
If you take patients or clients, you accept them as your patients or clients.
Some universities would be forced to take more students than they wanted.
有些大学将被迫超计划招生。
If you take a telephone call, you speak to someone who is telephoning you.
Douglas telephoned Catherine at her office. She refused to take his calls.
道格拉斯把电话打到凯瑟琳的办公室,但凯瑟琳拒绝接听他的电话。
If you take something in a particular way, you react in the way mentioned to a situation or to someone's beliefs or behaviour.
Unfortunately, no one took my opinion seriously.
不幸的是,没有人认真对待我的意见。
You use take when you are discussing or explaining a particular question, in order to introduce an example or to say how the question is being considered.
There's confusion and resentment, and it's almost never expressed out in the open. Take this office, for example.
混乱和怨恨是存在的,但几乎从来没人公开表露过。以这个办公室为例。
If you take someone's meaning or point, you understand and accept what they are saying.
I had made it as plain as I could so that he could not fail to take my meaning.
我已经尽我所能地说明白,所以他一定会理解我的意思。
If you take someone for something, you believe wrongly that they are that thing.
She had taken him for a journalist.
她把他错当成记者了。
If you take a road or route, you choose to travel along it.
From the community college take Old Mill Road to the outskirts of town.
从社区学院出发,走老磨坊路到达市郊。
If you take a car, train, bus, or plane, you use it to go from one place to another.
It's the other end of town so we should take the car.
它在城镇的另一头,因此我们应该乘车去。
If you take a subject or course at school or college, you choose to study it.
Students are allowed to take European history and American history.
学生可以选修欧洲史和美国史。
If you take a test or examination, you do it in order to show your knowledge or ability.
She took her driving test yesterday.
她昨天参加了驾照考试。
If someone takes drugs, pills, or other medicines, they take them into their body, for example, by swallowing them.
She's been taking sleeping pills.
她一直在服用安眠药。
If you take a note or a letter, you write down something you want to remember or the words that someone says.
She sat expressionless, carefully taking notes.
她面无表情地坐着,仔细地记着笔记。
If you take a measurement, you find out what it is by measuring.
By drilling, geologists can take measurements at various depths.
通过钻孔,地质学家可以在不同深度进行测量。
If a place or container takes a particular amount or number, there is enough space for that amount or number.
The place could just about take 2,000 people.
这个地方只能容纳大约两千人。
If you take a particular size in shoes or clothes, that size fits you.
'What size do you take?'—'I take a size 7.'
“你穿多少号?” “我穿7号。”
If a shop, restaurant, theatre, or other business takes a certain amount of money, they get that amount from people buying goods or services.
If you are taken by someone, you are cheated or deceived by them.
They got taken by a scam artist.
他们被一个假冒的艺术家骗了。