Why is used after certain words, especially verbs and adjectives, when you talk about the reasons for something.
I don't know why.
我不知道为什么。
It's obvious why.
原因很明显。
Why is used after the word 'reason' at the end of a clause to refer to the reasons for a situation mentioned in a previous clause.
He confirmed that the city had been closed to foreigners, but gave no reason why.
他证实这座城市已经禁止外国人进入,但没有给出原因。
You use why at the beginning of a clause in which you talk about the reasons for something.
He still could not throw any further light on why the lift could have become jammed.
他对电梯为什么会卡住仍给不出更多解释。
Experts wonder why the US government is not taking similarly strong actions against AIDS in this country.
专家们想弄明白为什么美国政府没有对该国的艾滋病采取类似的强硬举措。
You say why not in order to agree with what someone has suggested.
'Want to spend the afternoon with me?'—'Why not?'
“想和我一起度过这个下午吗?” “为什么不呢?”
People say 'Why' at the beginning of a sentence when they are surprised, shocked, or angry.
Why hello, Tom.
哎呀,你好,汤姆。
You use why to introduce a relative clause after the word 'reason'.
There's a reason why women don't read this stuff; it's not funny.
妇女们不读这种东西是有原因的:它并不逗趣。
You use why in questions when you ask about the reasons for something.
Why hasn't he brought the whisky?
他为什么还没把威士忌酒带来?
Why didn't he stop me?
他为什么没有阻止我?
You use why with 'not' in questions in order to introduce a suggestion.
Why not give Charmaine a call?
为什么不给莎梅因打个电话呢?
You use why with 'not' in questions in order to express your annoyance or anger.
Why don't you look where you're going?
为什么你不看看自己要往哪儿走?